Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Perserverence.

Nobody ever said any kind of success is easy. You go out there, put your feelings on the line then learn something about yourself and human nature one way or another. My father was a perfect example of that. He knew he was comfortable financially but still his one hobby was always trying to put some kind of deal together. He tried all kinds of things. He first suggested fruit roll-ups. He tried selling mesquite to the barbecue companies. He knew pistachios would make for good TV commercials. That man knew all kinds of everything.
Not that the people with money, who sit uptight and nervous by my coming around like an ex-husband from the First Wives Club, would tell you that. If I were to go there, I could tell you a thing or two about having your own name getting dragged through the mud. In that regard, some people owe me far more than they're even worth and *know* it. If not for me or my older brother, let's just say that there are some affluent kids who'd still be picked on by bullies like Tom Arnold to Rick Moranis in a b-movie. Heck, if not for my brother's baby's mama then *he'd* still be a bully to kids in the barrio.


Y'all asked to know where I come from? Here 'tis.

Ice Cube and Tiny Lister in Friday (1995.)
Video courtesy of:
New Line Cinema.
Priority Films.
All rights reserved.

All I know is that when you do good, you get good. Even if it don't always work out the way you plan. I mean personally, I'd rather be having a cocktail right now while lounging on the beach somewhere tropical. The only thing is I know I don't like shallow vacationers. Not that I don't like they themselves, or that they even are shallow, but sometimes even those in upper mobility that cater to said appearances have employees from the 'hood. Those that know and know you know what's really up. Who dated who. There's a reason some relatives no longer party with other older kids' friends other than to pick a fight. So I lounge low-key from the comfort of my living room with a Dr. Pepper instead while typing to y'all. It's better this than going outside and breaking my arms after thumping on some fools' head. I'll just graduate college and let others redeem themselves in earning fantastic jobs after doing my light work for me.


Dance like a fairy, defeat authority. (Jump back!)

Theatrical movie poster for Footloose (1984.)
Image courtesy of:
Paramount Pictures.
IndieProd Company Productions.
All rights reserved.

Business Directory for Dixon, California
Add to Google
Online Marketing

Add to Bloglines

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sir. I myself lounge with a cold glass of Coke Zero, a bag of cheese puffs and the latest episode of 'CHUCK". I let the world take care of itself. It's better that way, than if i was int eh mix, mucking things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ex-actly! I figure if things really get that bad, I'll personally be called upon to act somehow. I don't even like being around friends who enjoy mucking things up. That's not my style. Its like, if you want to know what's on my mind then ask me. Don't just try insinuating or politely getting me to see things differently like a suburban bully might. I'll become reactionary like Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams to his brother-in-law and then inevitably we'll both say things we don't mean.

    ReplyDelete