Monday, February 7, 2011

Clarity and all that Good Stuff.

Its hard to be clear when people already know alot about you. Especially friends and family. They know about tangents of you that relate to their own experience. Sometimes though, there's a bit of yourself that people either 1.) said they aren't familiar with directly or 2.) have considerately offered that they went through something vaguely similar to but may not have told you all about it. Whatever the situation, all I know is its better to be honest and get your opinion out there. If I didn't, then white people might tell you I'm a Justin Bieber or Jack Black. That's Women speaking. In reality amongst other Men I've always been more like Ralph Macchio's Karate Kid or a west coast, latino version of a younger Chris Rock. At the very least, like his white best friend Greg. Oddly dressed.
When I was in high school, people just thought I was crazy. I dressed wild and acted weird. So did my friends. Once a pal visited from Sacramento dressed like the lead singer of The Cure. Another time I wore a striped hat like something from Dr. Seuss to a school dance. With my face painted like Alice Cooper. Before you even ask, no it wasn't for Halloween. The consensus of my fringe loving friends was that pretty people were placing labels and we didn't like being labeled. If you said I was a freak, I would show you what a freak acts like. Chances are, you may even laugh! Nobody can hate a guy whose bagging on himself.
What your parents don't know is better for us!

Music video for "Round and Round" by Ratt (1984.)
Video courtesy of Atlantic Records. All rights reserved.

Surprisingly, the school faculty for the most part appreciated me. Girls too! I guess it was refreshing for them to see a guy unafraid of seeming freaky or outrageous. Maybe it was also because I saw some of the teachers downtown laughing and having drinks with my dad's friends. The bands we kids liked were ones those adults all played on the jukebox. Songs that often scared off nosy, paranoid cops somehow.
Earlier I scared off our high school quarterback, a cop's kid, and his familiars just being myself. That and by beating all of them at Street Fighter II in a pizza joint but that's another story. Lets just say that the whole time I was sitting down yawning. I didn't even get angry until someone spilled my soda. Then a skinny roadie looking dude with smelly armpits distracted me while they all ran out the door. After it was over and mr. unsure left the lady working the counter just smiled, giggled and gave me a new soda for free. Too bad I was only in Jr. High or I would've asked for her phone number.
To summarize, I don't talk about me to explain myself. I do it preemptively to cover my ass. If something is gonna mess up then it won't be because of me. I'm there for you. Even when things appear as though I'm not cool with it looking like I am.
Hey, even brains take a break sometimes. B)-~~~

Matt Damon and Minnie Driver in Good Will Hunting. (1997.)
Image courtesy of:
Be Gentlemen Limited Partnership.
Lawrence Bender Productions.
Miramax Films.
All rights reserved.

Business Directory for Dixon, California
Add to Google
Online Marketing

Add to Bloglines

4 comments:

  1. Can't say that I ever dressed, differently, but for some inexplicable reason, I was accepted, despite my weirdness. Hell, I'm still accepted. Strange...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just always danced to my own tune. I didn't care that much about what others thought about me. I mean, I cared a little, not a lot. I just was always of a mind that "there's only one of me and I decide who I am, not you". You dig it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @8th Circle of Hell: *shrugs* Maybe they think you're just quirky. If this were 10 years ago you could audition for Ally McBeal.

    @Freak: Can I dig it? Yes I can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFD1C4tVIg

    ReplyDelete