Saturday, February 5, 2011

Helping Ourselves To Helping Others.

I have always been a supportive guy. When my oldest brother needed to get away from home for a while after having it rough at home, it was me at only four years of age asking my Grandparents if he could keep a room at their house until things blew over. Little did I know he was put on the spot, having already been plotting all along to stay with wealthy friends across town. When my middle brother and girlfriend were pregnant with my nephew, it was me who first kept my silence all the way until after we got to the delivery room. People cannot say that I'm not there for them. More often than not, they can only say that I have been and at times am still here for them. The problem is that sometimes friends can really burn you and your being supportive of anyone. Not that they would ever admit it. Some folk are just fearful of what they don't understand. Especially American white people. Suburban American white people. At least the ones I know and grew up with. If most of them were reading this, I'd get one of two things: bellyached/whined about behind my back or growled at to my face with a cynical quip. Asians, Black people, Jews, kids from bigger cities, Hindi, Mexicans, working class Irish, Native Americans and Italians are all pretty cool. Country folk too. Its just these lily white pretentious people that come from Spain or I don't know where that all act paranoid and puritanical to everybody. Like the neighbors in Edward Scissorhands. They know I got their number. Back when I was a kid it was divorced or battered Desperate Housewives raising future Justin Bieber clones. What the hell did I ever do to all of them?! They must've been out of their mind to mess with me! What happened was I was offered to skip a grade when I was in kindergarten. Kindergarten! This was after a teacher tried to tell my dad I was slow. I was just lazy. I shared a bedroom with stoners and my Grandparents' house with yuppies. I told the people who recommended me that I'd ask my parents. Well my family had a discussion about it and yada yada yada, we all decided against it. Not that I have anything against accelerated learning. All I knew was my friends in Kindergarten had disabilities like dyslexia and mean white kids pretending to be friends were picking on them. A Korean kid that occasionally hung out with us was pointing out my friends to pick on so he wasn't bullied. I wasn't having it. We all found out, turned and made fun of the Korean kid then near got called racists. Which even then I thought odd because one of my friends was Middle Eastern. Anyways, my brothers were dyslexic and the school system knew it. Years before, my dad had made the same school district test them for it when the boys weren't able to read accurately at 8 and 10 years old. Guess some Germans don't like Mexicans either. Next time I'm in Berlin, remind me to order a Bohemia. A year or two later I got asked again to skip a grade and that time really wanted to go for it but two things happened: the teacher I was working with who wanted me in her class suddenly moved away. Now that teacher was cool. She, before moving, even let one girl from my class that I was friends with sit in on lessons too because the girl was also smart. Man, it felt good having a friend there. Second, the new teacher that came in was cool with me but very strict and said if I was in her class, I couldn't go back to my own class or bring any of my friends from that class into her class. So I shrugged off the strict teacher and never went back. Looking back now, who'd have thought that I was a rock star even in grade school? I guess I'm destined for big things.


Proof that you can like hot women sexually and still enjoy psychedelic colors.

Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston in Warner Bros. Pictures' Rock Star (2001.)
Video courtesy of:
Warner Bros. Pictures.
Bel Air Entertainment.
Maysville Pictures.
Robert Lawrence Productions.
Metal Productions Inc.

After all was said and done I proceeded all the way through school without having skipped any grades. I even graduated on time. In high school I made new friends that as it turned out, weren't just varying ethnic minorities but also each had dyslexia. Two Italians, two Irish and another Latino besides myself. A Filipino. Man, weren't we on the wrong coast! Guess it just follows me. Its just funny that through it all, I wouldn't have changed and won't change a thing. I'm still the first guy to ask what gives someone the right. Ten years ago when white kids tried to patronize rap music, I listened to rock music. They brought up Backstreet Boys, I brought up J5. They mentioned New Kids on the Block, I sang James Brown. I was annoying only because they knew I wasn't the one being an asshole. My attitude was Americans don't act like that, hosers. They essentially got the drift but still grind an axe about it. All I can say is if it makes them feel any better, KISS dresses Kabuki but Yoko Ono is Japanese. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just... get along?

If you can't look at war, don't knock peace.

John Lennon and Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump (1994.)
Image courtesy of Paramount Pictures.

Business Directory for Dixon, California
Add to Google
Online Marketing

Add to Bloglines

No comments:

Post a Comment